If you plan to immigrate to Ontario, you are probably wondering what to do when you arrive as a new immigrant. Although moving to a new country is an exciting step, it can also be incredibly overwhelming.
No list is applicable to everyone, but there are several essential steps you should check off your to-do list upon arriving in your new home. Here are a few important tasks to take care of when you enter Ontario and begin your new life.
- Secure housing. If possible, this is a step you should consider taking prior to your move.
- Obtain a Social Insurance Number, which is required to work in Canada and receive government benefits
- Apply for health insurance through the Ontario Health Insurance Plan
- Open a private bank account
- If you do not yet have employment, work with an employment centre. In many cases, a new immigrant has a job offer prior to coming to Canada. In this case, connect with your employer as soon as possible upon arriving in Canada.
- Locate a doctor and other required health care services
- Obtain a driver’s licence
- If you have school-age children, visit the local school for enrollment information
- Locate your local public library, which can be a great resource for community events and employment information
- If you struggle with the English language, consider enrolling in language classes. Although French is one of Canada’s official languages, English is more commonly spoken in Ontario.
Most importantly, ask for help when you need it. Even an innocent mistake can jeopardize your ability to live and work in Canada. At Butkowsky Immigration Law, we pride ourselves on being accessible to our clients at every stage of their immigration journey.
Butkowsky Immigration Law
With more than two decades of experience focused exclusively on immigration and refugee law, Larry Butkowsky has earned the respect of the Toronto legal community and the gratitude of many satisfied clients. He is committed to protecting his clients’ rights and making sure that they achieve their Canadian immigration dreams. Call (416) 979-2127 to discuss your immigration matters.