Call now:
(416) 979-2127

Questions? Call us today. (416) 979-2127

Study Permits

Travelling, studying, and experiencing the culture of foreign countries is one of the great opportunities offered during college. Most worldwide universities have connections with foreign institutions to allow their students to study on the other side of the world and experience a culture unique from their own. Other students find programs at foreign institutions that are particularly suited to their educational goals. If students want to pursue educational opportunities in Canada, a Canadian study permit is likely required. Butkowsky Immigration Law in Toronto stands ready to answer any questions you may have regarding study permits and can help you obtain the needed permit to pursue your studies in Canada.

Do I Need a Study Permit?

A study permit is required in most cases if you wish to attend classes in Canada. The few exceptions involve unique circumstances such as enrollment in a short-term course lasting six months or less, minor children already in Canada whose parents are not visitors to Canada, or family members of a foreign representative to Canada accredited by the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade. If you are a traditional student looking to enroll in a program or course of study in Canada, you must apply for a study permit.

What is the Application Process for a Study Permit?

If you’re planning to come to study in Canada, you need to get started on the study permit process as soon as possible, as the processing and approval of a study permit application may take as long as six months. Before beginning your application for a study permit, make sure that you have the following documents available to be submitted with the application:

  • Proof of acceptance to a program and educational institution in Canada
  • Proof of identity (such as a passport)
  • Proof of adequate financial support (such as bank statements, employment letters…)
  • Proof of payment or a deposit for tuition and residence fees

Additionally, some applicants may need to pass a medical exam which can further extend the application’s processing time up to 3 months. Given this length of time, it is important that you decide as early as possible that you want to attend a study abroad program in Canada so you can prepare for the potentially lengthy application process.

Additionally, students from certain countries may also need to have a Temporary Resident Visa. An experienced immigration lawyer will be able to further advise you on the necessity of obtaining this document.

After receiving the study permit application, Canada Citizenship and Immigration will review the application and may even convoke you for an interview regarding the application. Once you receive your initial study permit, you may later try to extend the duration of the permit depending on your course or program.

There are few experiences in life as rewarding as studying abroad. If studying in Canada is on your educational agenda, Toronto immigration lawyer Larry Butkowsky can help you through the process of obtaining the necessary visas and permits so you can fulfill your goals.

Larry Butkowsky and his legal team are ready and available to assist you and your family in achieving your immigration goals. The firm focuses exclusively on immigration and refugee law, and represents clients who wish to become permanent residents or citizens, as well as those seeking temporary entry or short-term residence in Canada for work or educational purposes. Larry also helps those seeking refugee protection. Larry can assist clients with every step of the immigration process, from determining which immigration avenue is right for you to completing applications and paperwork to helping you prepare for interviews. Larry also advocates for his clients in immigration litigation, including appeals, judicial reviews, hearings, and deportation proceedings. With more than two decades of experience, Larry Butkowsky has earned the respect of the Toronto legal community and the gratitude of many satisfied clients. He is committed to protecting his clients’ rights and making sure that the immigration and transition to Canadian life is a smooth one. His firm is located at 41 Madison Ave., Toronto, Ontario M5R 2S2, or he may be reached by calling (416) 979-2127.

Comments are closed.