Call now:
(416) 979-2127

Questions? Call us today. (416) 979-2127





PR Cards

PR Cards

New permanent residents

New permanent residents don’t need to apply for a permanent resident card (PR card). IRCC will send you one when you immigrate to Canada at your Canadian mailing address. There is a $50 processing fee for PR card applications.


To be eligible for a PR card, you need to:

If you are outside of Canada, you may need to apply for a permanent resident travel document which will then allow you to board a commercial carrier and return to Canada. You can then apply for a PR card after your return to Canada.

It is recommended that you only apply for a PR card if:

  • your card has expired or will expire in less than 9 months
  • your card is lost, stolen, or destroyed
  • you didn’t receive your card within 180 days of immigrating to Canada
  • you need to update your card to:
    • legally change your name
    • change your citizenship
    • change your gender designation
    • correct your date of birth

Time lived in Canada

In order to maintain your permanent resident status, you must have been in Canada for at least 730 days during the last five years. These 730 days don’t need to be continuous. Some of your time abroad may count towards the 730 days.

To help you track your time in Canada, you should keep track of your time or use a travel journal.

Some of these situations can be complicated and necessitate the input of someone with expertise. If you think you are facing such a complication or want an honest opinion, it is important to work with a Canadian immigration lawyer with experience in this area of immigration law.

Butkowsky Immigration Law

With more than two decades of experience focused exclusively on immigration and refugee law, Larry Butkowsky has earned the respect of the Toronto legal community and the gratitude of many satisfied clients. He is committed to protecting his clients’ rights and making sure that they achieve their Canadian immigration dreams. Call (416) 979-2127to discuss your immigration matters or drop us an email.

Police Certificates

What is a police certificate and will I require one? In most cases, when you apply to become a permanent resident of Canada, you and your family members need to get a police certificate. These are required and must be submitted to IRCC. They may also be needed if you’re coming to Canada as a: Continue reading

Government Unveils Plan to Crack Down on Unethical Immigration Consultants

On May 6, 2019, the federal government revealed details of its plan to crack down on unethical immigration consultants, a plan that includes creating a professional college putting consultants on the same regulatory footing as doctors and lawyers. The plan is something that hopefully will yield results as all previous efforts to police immigration consultants have essentially failed. Details follow the announcement in the recent federal budget of $51.9 million being allocated over five years, starting in 2019-20, and $10.1 million a year after that to improve oversight of immigration consultants. Continue reading





My Visa Application Was Refused. What can be done?

If your visa application has been rejected, you are probably feeling a mix of emotions that include anger, frustration, and anxiety. Understanding why visa applications are refused can go a long way toward easing your mind and helping you create a plan to be successful in the future, either with an appeal or a new application. With this in mind, here are a few common reasons for visa rejections. Continue reading

Tagged ,





Do I need or want an Immigration Lawyer?

When many people begin the process of immigrating to Canada, one of their first questions is whether they should hire an immigration lawyer in their home country or one in Canada. Some people even wonder if they need to hire a lawyer in each country. Continue reading

Tagged , ,