Call now:
(416) 979-2127

Questions? Call us today. (416) 979-2127

Will I Need an Electronic Travel Authorization?

Beginning March 15, 2016, the majority of foreign nationals excused from securing a temporary resident visa to stay in Canada will have to get an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) before flying into Canada.

The change comes from the implementation of the Electronic Travel Authorization program, which went into effect August 1, 2015. The program mirrors the Electronic System for Travel Authorization in the United States and is designed to establish a “common approach to screening visa-exempt foreign nationals in order to identify threats before they arrive in the North American perimeter.”

American citizens are exempt from eTA requirements. Likewise, Canadian citizens are not required to obtain electronic travel authorization before flying into the U.S.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada has released a list of countries whose citizens are required to obtain an eTA before boarding a flight to Canada. If your country is on the list, it is important to note that you must obtain the eTA prior to your flight. If you attempt to get on a plane without an eTA, you will be turned away from the flight.

Once you have secured an eTA, it is good for five years or the expiration date of your passport, whichever happens first.

Butkowsky Immigration Law

With more than two decades of experience focused exclusively on immigration and refugee law, Larry Butkowsky has earned the respect of the Toronto legal community and the gratitude of many satisfied clients. He is committed to protecting his clients’ rights and making sure that they achieve their Canadian immigration dreams. Call (416) 979-2127 to discuss your immigration matters.

Comments are closed.